Reachout Trust was established in 1982 in Twickenham, England, by Doug Harris, a local church leader, as an outreach to Jehovah’s Witnesses. From that early initiative Reachout has grown into a nationwide ministry that reaches out to people in cults, to educate Christians in how to share their faith with cult members, and to publish material that keeps people informed and equipped with biblical truth.
Under Doug’s leadership the ministry has grown to have a significant impact in the world of cults, producing newsletters, publishing books, establishing an online presence, and regularly preaching and teaching in churches across the United Kingdom. In 2013, 31 years after establishing the work, Doug Harris died and went to his reward. The leadership of the trust fell to Michael Thomas, a former Mormon who worked alongside Doug for many years.
Reachout offers a ministry of Christian apologetics, counter-cult apologetics, relevant news stories, and encouragement to Christian believers to, ‘contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints.’ (Jude 3) We aim to do this by means of a regular e-newsletter, books, tracts, our website, recordings, seminars, sermons, and workshops.
Our aim is to honour the Lord by sharing ‘the good news of Jesus Christ, the Son of God’ (Mark 1:1), seeing Christians grow in confidence in their witnessing, and in seeing lives saved into his kingdom, to the glory of God.
We believe in the Evangelical Alliance basis of faith:
- The one true God who lives eternally in three persons — the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- The love, grace and sovereignty of God in creating, sustaining, ruling, redeeming and judging the world.
- The divine inspiration and supreme authority of the Old and New Testament Scriptures, which are the written Word of God—fully trustworthy for faith and conduct.
- The dignity of all people, made male and female in God’s image to love, be holy and care for creation, yet corrupted by sin, which incurs divine wrath and judgement.
- The incarnation of God’s eternal Son, the Lord Jesus Christ — born of the virgin Mary; truly divine and truly human, yet without sin.
- The atoning sacrifice of Christ on the cross: dying in our place, paying the price of sin and defeating evil, so reconciling us with God.
- The bodily resurrection of Christ, the first fruits of our resurrection; his ascension to the Father, and his reign and mediation as the only Saviour of the world.
- The justification of sinners solely by the grace of God through faith in Christ.
- The ministry of God the Holy Spirit, who leads us to repentance, unites us with Christ through new birth, empowers our discipleship and enables our witness.
- The Church, the body of Christ both local and universal, the priesthood of all believers — given life by the Spirit and endowed with the Spirit’s gifts to worship God and proclaim the gospel, promoting justice and love.
- The personal and visible return of Jesus Christ to fulfill the purposes of God, who will raise all people to judgement, bring eternal life to the redeemed and eternal condemnation to the lost, and establish a new heaven and new earth.
Would you like to keep up to date with the work?
Would you like to equip your church to better defend the faith?
Do you want to get in touch?