TEN REASONS WHY WE BELIEVE THAT MORMONS ANSWER YES
We do recognise on our web page that some Mormons would not agree with this statement. The fact is that there are clear unequivocal statements in the writings of the Latter-day Saints that some Mormons would want to ignore or try to explain away.
Are we calling an individual a liar when they state that they accept Jesus Christ as being superior to Joseph Smith? No, that is not the case. Such people are genuine inasmuch as that is what they assent to in their minds but that is not necessarily what every Mormon has believed, and it is not necessarily what their history and the statements of Mormon leaders show to be true.
Having read many arguments, we still believe that the statement is true. Here are our ten reasons.
1. Joseph Smith must give his consent to those living in this dispensation to enter the celestial Kingdom of God. Brigham Young the second Living Prophet of the Mormon Church said,
“No man or woman in this dispensation will ever enter into the celestial kingdom of God without the consent of Joseph Smith… He reigns there as supreme a being in his sphere, capacity and calling, as God does in Heaven” – Journal of Discourses, Vol.14, p.203
But the Bible shows that only Jesus’ consent is necessary. – John 3:16; 5:22-23
2. Joseph Smith negated the supreme sacrifice of Jesus Christ at Calvary. When Jesus died the veil of the Temple was torn down signifying that the way was open to all to enter into His presence – Mark 15:38; Hebrews 10:19-20. Joseph Smith put the veil back up again and added secret passwords and hand shakes so that only a few could enter. It can be said of the Mormons, as of the Jews Paul wrote about, that “to this day the veil remains” – 1 Cor.3:14.
3. It is taught by at least some Mormons that there is no salvation for people alive today unless they accept Joseph Smith – Joseph Fielding Smith, 10th Living Prophet of the Mormon Church, stated,
“If Joseph was verily a prophet…then his knowledge is of the most vital importance to the entire world. No man can reject that testimony without incurring the most dreadful consequences, for he cannot enter the kingdom of God.” – Doctrines of Salvation, Joseph Fielding Smith Jr, Vol.2, p.189.
But the Bible clearly teaches that we only need to accept Jesus Christ. – John 1:12
4. Joseph Smith was proved to be a false prophet as the following shows:
“And now I am prepared to say by the authority of Jesus Christ, that not many years shall pass away before the United States shall present such a scene of bloodshed as has not a parallel in the history of our nation; pestilence, hail, famine and earthquake will sweep the wicked of this generation from off the face of the land, to open and prepare the way for the return of the lost tribes of Israel from the north country.” – History of the Church, Vol.1, p.315
“President Smith… made known (what was given) to him by vision and by the Holy Spirit… the coming of the Lord was nigh – even fifty-six years should wind up the scene.” – History of the Church, Vol.2, p.182.
However, Mormons still say we must accept his message as a true prophet.
Jesus warned against the message of the false prophets. – Matthew 24:24
5. If, living in this dispensation, I do not confess Joseph Smith along with Jesus Christ I am the “antichrist.” – Brigham Young, the second Living Prophet of the Mormon Church, said,
“The time was when a test of a Christian was his confession of Jesus Christ…This is no test for this generation…This generation, however, is not left without a test. I have taught for thirty years, and still teach, that he that believeth in his heart and confesseth with his mouth that Jesus is the Christ and that Joseph Smith is his Prophet to this generation, is of God; and he that confesseth not that Jesus has come in the flesh and sent Joseph Smith with the fulness of the Gospel to this generation, is not of God, but is antichrist.” Journal of Discourses, Vol.9, p.312.
The Bible shows that there is only one name to confess and that is the name of Jesus. – Romans 10:9, and that confessing the name of Jesus is deemed sufficient for all people of all time – John 20:29
6. Joseph Smith claimed that his followers stayed loyal to him whereas those of Jesus ran away. This he proposed as proof that he, Joseph, had done a greater work than Jesus – Smith himself declared,
“I have more to boast of than any man had. I am the only man that has been able to keep a church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter nor Jesus ever did. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I.” – History of the Church, Vol.6, p.408.
The Bible shows that not only did the followers of Jesus return in the power of the Holy Sprit but most laid down their lives for the gospel of Jesus Christ.
7. Joseph Smith claimed that the Book of Mormon was, “the most correct book on earth” (History of the Church, Vol.4.) This means that he claimed it is even more correct than the Bible the living word of Jesus Christ.
8. Joseph Smith claimed that God was his “right hand man.” What he actually said was
“I combat the errors of ages; I meet the violence of mobs; I cope with illegal proceedings from executive authority; I cut the guardian knot of powers and I solve mathematical problems of universities, with truth–diamond truth; and God is my ‘right hand man.'” – History of the Church, Vol.6, p.78.
God was so much his right hand man that he could claim to be such an amazing person. No proof is ever given of doing these impossible tasks. Some would argue that the phrase does not imply any more than David saying that God was at his right hand, as a helper. The context seems to be claiming much more, that God was at his disposal to do all these tasks.
9. Some Mormons have taught that Joseph Smith’s character stands as fair as that of Jesus Christ. Brigham Young declared,
“Examine the characters of those who have written the Old and New Testaments; and then compare them with the character of Joseph Smith…and you will find that his character stands as fair as that of any man’s mentioned in the Bible. We can find no person who presents a better character to the world when the facts are known than Joseph Smith Jun.” – Journal of Discourses, Vol.14, p.203.
As Jesus was perfect and never sinned, this is making an extraordinary claim concerning Joseph Smith.
10. Joseph Smith negated the memorial of Jesus’ tremendous sacrifice on Calvary by saying that God had changed His mind and any liquid could be used in the remembrance of Christ’s death.
Jesus in His agony took time to leave a remembrance, until He comes, of bread and wine. The wine represents His blood shed for our sins and to substitute water, as Joseph did, is to negate one of Jesus last and most significant acts. Even those Christian Churches that eschew alcohol use a substitute that sufficiently represents blood, e.g. grape juice.